Monday, June 11, 2012

Newport, Rhode Island

I really dislike flying.  I think I have been permanently scarred from a trip to Florida in high school where the passenger next to me and I held hands and said the Lord's prayer while flying through a storm.  When we landed, she asked if I had a connection and when I said "Yes" she looked more fearful for me than I already was.  And, it wasn't until I started boarding my connection did I realize it was an 8 seater prop plane.  I thought that was it.

So, last Saturday my hubby, daughter and I made a flight to Newport, Rhode Island to visit my sister and her family.  It was only an hour flight and I was ok the first twenty minutes.  Then the turbulence began and my window seat no longer had a pleasant view of farmland and swimming pools in people's back yard but now fog, dark clouds and nothingness.  I pretty much lost it. I plugged my ears and started singing (what I thought was quiet enough to be to myself) Christmas songs (the first thing that came to mind)...and squeezed my husband's hand until it was white.  While he laughed at me.  When he asked what the heck I was doing, in between laughing at me,...I told him I was trying to find my "happy place"....you know, those of you who have a fear of flying...it helps to zone out.

Anyway, enough of that....we made it and all was well. I have decided I am going to find a book on overcoming this fear because I can't handle it and I enjoy traveling.  My fear was worth the trip....here are some pics:






We took a tour of The Elms, one of eleven stunning mansions in Newport












The fog remained along with lots of rain but it made for a cozy trip....




Chateu-Sur-Mer....another mansion



Someone recommended we check out Flo's Clam Shack on the water...and we did.  While my sister took care of Leila, we got a few hours to ourselves to explore....and eat!






After lunch we poked around downtown and got caught in the rain....so darn fun!




don't you just love this color combo?

While running through the rain we stumbled across the Spring Bull Studio & Gallery where I found two artists that caught my eye:

Anne Winthrop Cordin


photo courtesy of Anne Winthrop blog

I just love the way she captures light and her use of color




cbv

"After the Summer Folk are Gone"
Oil on Panel
10" x 15"

Don't you just want to go there?!


So, it was a week of fun...family time well spent...
lots of laughing, dancing, hide and seek playing, cooking, driving (we also drove to Sudbury, Mass to see our old house from when we were little), movie watching, eating, swinging, cool whip eating etc...









our old house in Sudbury which looks 100% different...to say it was red with black shutters would just be the beginning.  So strange how different your perspective is as an adult vs child...


Our first family airplane ride...so excited :)






Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback...this girl loves hearing from you!