Thursday, May 24, 2012

dressed up no sew windows



I've been wanting to make window treatments for our sad little kitchen windows for a while now. 




However, not with the window treatment cost.... and of course I wanted them to be unique and tailored. Basically I didn't want the "Bed in a Bag" of window treatments you can find at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

And, I still don't know how to sew... I so want to learn!  I had to be creative and complete this project just with glue, lots of starch and ironing.  And some patience.

Off to Discount Fabrics in Thurmont I went.  This place is a massive warehouse full of designer fabrics and everything else you may need to sew with...all at great prices.

An entire wall is set aside just for extra low discounted fabrics.  Fabric which is left over with just a few yards on the roll...the entire wall is a flat rate of $5 per yard and you are required to purchase what is left on the roll. 

I found this fabric with 2.5 yards left....so I paid $12.  It is a thick, nice weight fabric:



(Leila decided to throw her lovies on it as I was taking pics!)


So, I got my measurements all squared away and clear on paper first since I am such a scatter brain...and then decided to take the plunge:






Iron, starch.  Iron, starch.  Glue, iron, starch, iron.  Repeat...:)


To make my life easier, I glued this treatment on directly to my rod:







And then, I wanted some trim....remember that post I did on the great sewing machine and vintage trims etc. I was given?  The trim came in handy:



I used black as a base:


Here is the first window after shot:



Then the panels for the sink window.  I decided using hot glue was so much easier (and faster).  Is it just me or does that glue smell take you right back to your bow making days in 4th grade?


Again, glue...starch...iron.......etc, etc.


I made little loops at the top from the rick rack ribbon to hang them




Last but not least....I love a kitchen window with a few special pieces to look at when you are getting your Palmolive on :)  I have here:

1) a pic of leila in a sweet frame from one of my best friends

2) a little vase from a local artist from a trip to Barbados

3) a little salt/pepper shaker (only 1 is left) from a set my dad sent my grandmother from England as a boy

4) piece of pottery from my mom to house soap

5) And, I can't stand my Palmolive to remain in it's yucky bottle so I hide mine in a hand soap dispenser...

What do you think?  I hope it looks more welcoming and finished because it took up the better part of yesterday....whew!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback...this girl loves hearing from you!