Tuesday, January 01, 2013

man made mobile & our boy/girl nursery in progress (eek!)



I decided to make one!  After seeing all the lovely (and pricey) mobiles on etsy like this one:




Magical Whimsy


however, not finding quite what I wanted...I thought I should give it a try.  So, off to our backyard we went.  To collect sticks:






Using paint we already had, my girl and I made an afternoon project of painting the branches
(she loved this!)



 
 
Once painted, I made a base and tied three branches together with ribbon I had:
 
 


built the branches up using hot glue to bind and stack them...





 
I ordered 50 1.5" white, paper elephants through a shop on etsy for $7...and the rest of the materials I already had (vintage ribbon, twine and hot glue)










 

I decided the mobile was a little empty looking on top.  I couldn't figure out how I should fill the space....I decided to cut out a bird from an old music sheet and I then applied a light layer of glue on it to give it a little more "weight" to hang...


 

 

 
 
 
I love the shadows it casts at night...
 

Posted by Picasa
(and the fact that this only cost me $7)

Meanwhile...a quick peak into the "dual" nursery...as we still have lots of work to do....but, here is Leila's half of the room...it started with rust colored walls in desperate need of a toned down color:


 
We found her big girl bed on Craigslist for $100...it is a true, vintage brass twin...and I literally have held onto this bedding for 10 years (I sold this pattern when I had my shop) and when I closed I thought that if I ever had a girl this bedding would be so sweet...finally :)




We are in the process of building cornice boards for the windows and my mother in law is going to help me sew curtains :)...I'm actually thinking of doing a funky fabric, we will see!

My husband's mom gave me the huge mirror and I painted it white
(you can see I still need to take a razor blade to the interior edges : / ...but what a difference it makes in opening up the room)
 



 

I will share more photos as we get closer to completion....the little man's side of the room is slowly getting there, but so much to do still...

Happy New Year, everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback...this girl loves hearing from you!