Monday, December 17, 2012

Hope for Newtown


In light of the recent tragedy in Newtown, CT I can't help but feel the need to write...if it is the very least I can do.  I don't know about you, but I feel an emptiness so deep...I wish I could take some of the pain away from the parents and families who lost loved ones and feel it for myself.  I am sad, worried for our future and concerned as a mother.  What is happening in our world?

I know there are no answers, I'm just speaking from my heart. Life is too fast.  Between school, extra curricular activities, sports, friends, households where both parents work full time and the stress of surviving in this economy to make ends meet...what is important seems to slip through the cracks today.  I can't help but think and feel, maybe we need to...stop. breathe. lets get back to the basics. Pay attention.

In the last few weeks my husband and I have have begun talking about school for our little girl.  Today, the very thought of dropping her off somewhere that should be one of the safest places for our children sends chills up my spine.  But, we can't keep our kids in a bubble, can we?  This could happen anywhere. 

I don't consider myself an extremely religious person, but I do believe in God and I do have faith.  We sit down to dinner each night, hold hands, say a blessing and give thanks for the gifts in our lives. I don't bow my head, rather I look right at my little girl and give thanks for her so she knows how special she is.  The fact that the parents who lost their precious gifts on Friday will never be able to look at their child again or hold them is unfathomable to me.  Why did this happen...why?

Maybe we need to slow down and have more faith all around.  I feel for the parents who sent their children to school today and I feel for the teachers and administrators who care for them.  I wonder what kind of conversations will be had around dinner tables this evening across the nation...

Thank you for reading and allowing me to share some of my feelings during such a difficult time for everyone...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your feedback...this girl loves hearing from you!